Thursday, May 8, 2008

mom moments

Today I did not leave the house with my kids. That is very rare and at most happens one day a week. I enjoy getting out of the house with them. It keeps me more sane and keeps the boys more entertained. I have been feeling bad about not giving my kids my full attention that much lately because I have had so much to get done. So, today I thought I would do something this morning that I never do with them. They got to watch Sesame Street which they both love but rarely get to watch because we usually aren't home then. The special something though, was me playing with play-doh with them. First, I dislike play-doh because it is so messy and bright and colorful that it sticks out anywhere that it gets stuck in my house and it is very crumbly. We only play with play-doh outside unless it is with a babysitter or grandma who lets them play with it inside when I am not home to freak about all the crumbs everywhere. The boys and I played outside on the deck on our kid-size picnic table with play-doh for 45 minutes! Not one timeout was given and lots of laughs and smiles were had by all. We came inside to eat lunch and after Jaden had gotten some food in his tummy, I asked him if he had fun with me outside playing with play-doh and he said "no." I should have known not to ask but then he proceeded to tell me that he didn't have fun with the play-doh and did not have fun with me and did not have fun outside. Well, thanks a lot. I will sure try that again. Bryan reassured me that he didn't mean it and eventually we got him to say he did have fun. Sometimes I just want a thank you when I try extra hard. Is that too much to ask? Apparently it is too much to ask for from my almost 2 year old and my 3 1/2 year old.

On the flip side, Jaden prayed his first unprompted and unscripted prayer today and to top it off it wasn't for himself--it was for his brother, Clay! I realized later today that Clay had been bitten on his arm, most likely from Jaden but I don't know when it happened, but maybe this morning when Clay was screaming during my shower. They both admitted to hitting at that time but Jaden currently has a lying problem and Clay isn't the most reliable. They both got timeouts. Once I discovered the bite marks, I showed Jaden and he apologized to Clay and said we should pray for Clay's arm--that has never happened before unless I asked him to do that for someone. So then I thought I could get Jaden to repeat a prayer after me because we have done that a few times and it worked well. But before I could say, "God," Jaden already had started praying to "Jesus,..." It was the most precious moment to hear Jaden pray to Jesus for him to heal Clay's arm. This is a memory I don't want to forget. It is good for me to have a place to write it down. I am happy to have this moment to remember after the unappreciative play-doh time.

No comments: