Friday, March 14, 2008

insults

Sometimes we all have to deal with insults. Man, they hurt. My first response is to lash back and try to justify myself or tear the other person down. God has certainly been helping me bite my tongue. Now I just need his help to bite my thoughts. It seems like after an insulting conversation, I end up praying to let it go.

During my most recent insulting encounter, God definitely helped me but at first I still dealt with wanting to have pity on myself instead of the other person. After a few hours of intermittent prayer and trying to let the insult go, I realized that God was changing my perspective and I was able to have compassion for the insulter. I also realized that the insult may have been justified and hopefully I improve from this conversation.

I want to think of myself lower and lesser than others because I believe that is what Christ called us to. It gives me a servant heart and attitude and truly brings me joy. I also want to have love, compassion and empathy for others and their difficult situation no matter what it is. I know that I need to hear, "suck it up" sometimes but I don't think I want to be the person to tell that to others. I am sure I have said it at times in the past and I will continue to say it to others but I pray that I will have more compassion and understanding for others' situations.

No comments: