Saturday, March 14, 2009

the wants

I have the wants. I can't seem to get rid of them. The phrases, "I want this," and "I want that," just won't seem to leave me alone.

Ever since we moved into our house in Bloomington, I have had a list of things that we intend to buy going in my head. I wrote them down this last week. I am not sure what my intent was but now I am hoping that by writing them down that I can let them go.

I have somehow justified everything on my "want list." I'm sure some of you think they are justified too. Truth is that none of them are necessary, well, not yet and we can live well without them. I want to be content with what I have but I am still hung-up on "the wants."

I want a new washer and dryer because ours are 25 years old and go on the fritz occasionally (but they still work, just sometimes slower than I would like, after 4 rinses and spins later).

I want a new camera because our current digital camera is draining any lithium rechargeable battery we give it. Our current one stills works but we if we use the screen to view the pictures, we can only take about 10 pictures. If we don't use the screen we can take about 50 pictures. It is fine for now but will not do for a trip where we take lots of pictures.

I want new beds for my boys because Jaden has maxed out the length of his toddler bed but this would require (in my mind) getting matching beds for both boys).

I want a new office/computer armoire and matching bookshelves. Our books are double stacked on our current bookshelves and we need 3 to have room for all of our books. We currently have a table-like desk for our computers and printer, etc. I really don't like it because it is always a mess. I want to hide it in an armoire that is smaller than our current table-desk. I would also appreciate a little office space that is enclosed with a drawer or a cupboard that is on our mail level.

I am sure that there are more things on my list that I can't remember right now and I don't want to get up to review my list.

All of these are wants and truth is, that we decided to put our money elsewhere right now, like giving it away and building up our savings. I do not regret those choices but I just wish I could let "the wants" go. I don't want to just go buy everything to get it off my list. I want to be content with what I have.

1 comment:

TB said...

Josh has a small case of the wants right now as well :) Perhaps the two of you could get together! He wants a new computer (can't think of what kind he said last night...). I think it is healthy to write it down Raquel and perhaps to help you deal with your wants, you would kind of set timelines for when you might want to make certain purchases. Perhaps that won't help but for me it does :)

I also like to keep a "dream list" that I know we won't get or do in the near future but helps me keep those nasty "want monsters" at bay! :)

Happy Sunday!