Monday, August 10, 2009

homelessness

Just watched the movie, The Soloist. So good and so moving. It is about a journalist that befriends a homeless man with unbelievable musical talent in playing the cello.

I have had a heart and passion for homeless individuals since I wrote a report on it in 7th grade. A passion grew out of the research that I discovered and the numbers astounded me.

I want to be a friend to the homeless. I want to know what they go through and help them. I want to help them live better in whatever that means to each individual. I love hearing people's stories of how they got to where they are and homeless people have great stories to tell.

Back in May, Bryan and I helped out with Homeless Connect in Minneapolis. I attempted to help a man that still haunts me in a good way. I think of him often and pray for his life. I hope that someday, somehow I will see him again. I wish that I could have a relationship with him. Maybe someday I will have a friendship with a homeless person. I look forward to that day. I know that relationship would transform me and hopefully it would benefit everyone involved.

No comments: