Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sunday Open House/Honduras Party

Our Open House/Honduras party went pretty well but I couldn't have pulled it off without our awesome babysitter, Christen, and her sister Katy coming to my rescue. We went to the store to get a few last minute supplies on Sunday morning and once we got back home it was 1pm and the kids still needed more to eat and get down for a nap. I had a lot of cleaning and picking up to do along with all of the food preparation. I realized at 1:30pm that there was no way I was going to get it all done by 3pm when we were expecting people. So I called Christen at the last minute to come help me clean and cook and she brought her sister, Katy. They were a lifesaver while Bryan was sleeping from working all weekend and the boys were supposed to be napping.

Christen and Katy picked up toys in just about every room, swept, vacuumed and did my dishes. They also helped me get the food ready. We had a lot of yummy food from Latin America and some served particularly in Honduras.

Here is the food list:
tropical fruit (fresh pineapple, mango and 2 types of papaya)
chips, salsa and guacamole (fresh salsa from Target, some with mango and some regular)
Baleadas (Honduran burritos) with avocado, tomatoes, sour cream, queso blanco (cheese), 3 types of refried beans, jalapenos and onions
Fried plantains (similar to a banana) with brown sugar and cream for dipping (I burnt these a little, oops, but I look forward to trying more in Honduras where they will be fried properly)
veggies and dip (carrots, grape tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers)
freshly baked Mexican sweet bread with cinnamon and nuts in it
homemade flan (vanilla custard with caramel sauce)
Tres Leche cake (three milk cake, very moist and yummy Honduran cake)
and apple soda (Manzana, my favorite from our experiences in Mexico City) and pineapple soda

We had about 25 people come by our house and it was a fun time. We collected about 2 boxes of stuff for the kids and the hospital in Honduras. There will be more goodbyes in the week and half to come. It was a fitting date to have the party because we leave for Honduras in one month from the party on July 8th! Wow, that is coming soon.

No comments: